The number of crossdressing men has increased considerably over time and I have always wanted to find out the reason for this. Here is an article from my dear friend Helen in New York (hence the word ‘pants’ instead of ‘trousers’!. This is open for review and speculation so don’t be afraid to post your comments.
Developed countries, in particular, are witnessing a surge in the number of crossdressing men. Though it’s more to do with personal choice, yet some people have wrongfully attributed religious overtones to this practice. Anti-Christ, anti-humanity, anti-society, are some of the tags that the crossdressing men have to counter on a daily basis. However, the discrimination seems misplaced and unfair when you compare men with women. No one bats an eyelid when a woman walks down the street wearing jeans or pants, but a man wearing a skirt or any other woman’s dress would immediately draw stares and howls from both men and women.
Apparently, this attitude seems prejudiced against men. Even if we dwell a bit into history, there seems to be nothing wrong in men getting dressed in women’s attire. Men wearing skirts was a common sight three or four centuries back. However, the attitudinal shift started when for the sake of convenience, pants were designed to ride a horse. The idea, somehow, got stuck as more men started wearing two-legged garment on different occasions and different purposes, like staving off cold and preventing legs from the elements. Even women developed the liking for pants for the obvious reasons and started wearing them as an alternative to more feminine dress, like skirt.
However, this crossdressing didn’t raise many eyebrows. People accepted women wearing pants as it was considered as a garment with multiple benefits. But when men started crossdressing, the same people questioned their motives invoking religious dogmas and conservative reasoning.
The arguments that crossdressing men often give in any transvestite discussion include:
1. All those who think that crossdressing is some kind of sexual perversion can’t explain why even some kids like to dress up in their mom’s clothes, at an age when they don’ know the meaning of sex.
2. Crossdressing is a matter of personal choice based on convenience and natural instincts. There’s absolutely no sacrilege in dressing up like a woman if a man feels he is more comfortable in a woman’s dress.
3. There is a difference between those who dress like a woman and those who act like a woman.
4. There is a sense of ‘anti-socialism’ in some men that compel them to challenge the pre-conceived notions of society about gender.
5. Some men simply want to look like women because they are not satisfied with their boyish looks, and this explains why they crossdress.
6. Perhaps, the most bizarre reason for crossdressing men is the ‘fashion statement’!
The reasons for crossdressing men are many but there is no unanimity on any of these reasons cited by the advocates of crossdressing. The popularity of crossdressing among men has even attracted fashion houses that are coming up with designer wear for the men looking to dress like a woman. Some of the dresses in vogue include lightweight cargo sarongs and hiking skirts that can be converted into shorts during summers.
At the end of the day, it’s just a matter of personal choice. Society needs to show much more maturity and accept crossdressing men as integral parts of every day life.
Just my view.